Get Ready for the Mogolympics!
Super Brief Update on the Real Life Thing First
Hey everyone! We have successfully completed our move! It was a lot of work in very hot temperatures, and there were some stressful moments, but we did it. We found a beautiful apartment, got the internet all connected up, and have started the enormous task of unpacking this mountain of boxes. So hopefully I’ll start posting a bit more regularly again. Thank you to everyone for sending good thoughts our way.
But that isn’t what I really wanted to talk about.
That’s right, it’s time for the Mogolympics!
JD over at Amateur Azerothian had this great idea for a transmog contest to coincide with the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. And I’m going to be one of the judges! I can’t wait to see all the fabulous outfits that you guys come up with. There’s already a ton of amazing bloggers and transmog fans signed up, but there’s no limit to the number of competitors, so don’t hesitate to sign up.
**Edit: I forgot to mention, the deadline for the submission of entries is July 31st. But make sure you let JD know you plan on entering so that he can assign you a faction for your flagbearer!
Here are the medal events:
- Archery – Build an outfit around your favourite bow.
- Cycling – Build a biker outfit to compliment the Chopper. It must be either Leather or Mail.
- Discus – Build an outfit around one of the shield skins seen here.
- Equestrian – Build an outfit to compliment one of the horse mounts in the game. (Faction limitations apply, so no Orcs on a Stormwind pony)
- Fencing – Time for some swordplay. Build your best outfit around the 1h sword of your choice.
- Javelin – Build an outfit around the polearm of your choice.
- Hammer Throw – Build an outfit around your favourite two-handed hammer.
- Wrestling – We’re going to deviate from olympic wrestling and go to the sports entertainment aspect instead. Using one of the “championship” belts, design your own Azerothian pro wrestler. Think of the oversized belts, such as the Firemend Cinch seen here.
- Freestyle – Build your own NPC. Could be an innkeeper, could be the Green Orc Lantern. Doesn’t matter.
In addition, each participant will be randomly assigned a faction to represent as flag bearer. In JD’s own words:
…if you receive Sporeggar, your flagbearer’s outfit would include their tabard. Let me clarify, though, this is the only outfit where you’re required to use the colours of your faction. This is also for appearance only, there’s no medal for this portion of the Mogolympics. The main reason is some will have an easier time than others because of tabard diversity.
Details and Rules:
- There is NO limit on the number of participants.
- 9 competition outfits. At least 5 different races must be used, never repeating the same gender/race combo (if you use Blood Elf Male for Javelin, you can’t make a Blood Elf Male for Discus. You could however make it female so long as you aren’t submitting a Blood Elf Female in any other event). Your flagbearer combo may be used in a competition event.
- Your event entry must be able to use the outfit as a proper end-game transmog (so no Gnomes in Shaman gear or Goblin Rogues entering the discus)
- Include the gear you used for each outfit please (the judges can peg many articles from in-game, but can’t always tell what everything is).
- All entries are to be submitted at once. Send the screenshots to email@example.com
- MogIt and ModelViewer entries are welcome.
- We’ll reveal three events a week for three weeks, beginning August 12th. Medals will be handed out accordingly.
- I have set no criteria for fellow judges. They will simply give their rankings based on their own thoughts. However, they’ll not know who they’re voting on (it will be labelled as Outfit D, rather than “Tome,” for example).
- The winner will have received the most medals in the nine events.
For more details and clarifications, or to see the list of entrants, head on over to JD’s Transmogolympics page. I hope to see you all there!