Plushie Lil’ Derpion
*tap tap* This thing on? *blows dust off of WordPress*
Hi there! Apparently, I still have a blog. I’ve just become really, really bad about writing things up. You see, when something interesting happens or I have some sort of thought, I usually just whisper or IM a couple people about it and then it’s out of my system and I no longer feel like taking the time to type it up. I know, I know, I’m so very lazy.
But this HAS to be a blog post, because it was inspired by another blogger. You see, back in February, Kamalia posted about finishing her quest to make little plushies of all the WoW dragon whelplings. They were so cute and awesome that I wished out loud for a sewing machine so that I could make some too. My husband was like, “Would you really like a sewing machine? Would you make stuff with it?” And I was like, sure! Why not? So he totally bought me one for my birthday! (I think he just wants to encourage me to have more non-gaming hobbies, heh.) And since Kamalia had kindly posted her whelpling pattern, I was good to go!
Of course, I hadn’t used a sewing machine in decades, so I knew it would take a bit of practice to figure things out. My plan was to start off with simpler projects, and I did sew together a nice little pillow with a sort of quilted pillowcase, but then I just threw caution to the wind and dove straight into dragon making.
Introducing Derpion, Aspect of the Derp Flight!
Since the little guy is a bit awkward looking, I was going to name him something like Derpy, or Derptar, or Derpistrasz. When I mentioned this to Prinnie, she yelled, “DERPION! Aspect of the Derp Flight!” Which is far too perfect, I must agree. So little Derpion he is.
Anyway, because I knew my first attempt was probably going to really suck, I didn’t want to use very expensive fabric. So I just bought the cheapest cotton I could find to make a practice dragon. And yeah… I made quite a few mistakes and there are a number of things I’d do differently next time.
First of all, I didn’t read Kamalia’s instructions very closely or study her photos to see how she’d done things. I had a pattern, what more did I need?! So I uh, totally didn’t notice that she hadn’t included seam allowances on the pattern. >.< So the body and hind legs turned out smaller than they would have been otherwise. I finally noticed the lack of a seam allowance when I tried to sew his little front legs and my sewing machine tried to eat them. I had to redo those and allow for a proper seam, so his front legs are proportionately bigger than his hind legs, at least compared to Kamalia’s whelps. I also re-drew the wings to include allowance for both the seam and the pipe cleaner armature-thing.
Secondly, I forgot to add the little top piece for his head. I don’t think it’s noticeable unless you know it’s supposed to be there though. His head is just smaller and narrower than it should be. I think it looks a bit more like a dinosaur or a turkey vulture this way.
Thirdly, I kept getting better as I went along, so the second of each pair of legs/wings turned out better than the first one, and usually slightly larger too. It’s especially noticeable in his wings.
Fourthly, I wasn’t sure how the feet were supposed to be sewn together, so I tried two different versions on the front and the back legs. I’m not sure which I like better. There’s probably an even better way to do them that I just don’t know about.
Finally, I had no idea how Kamalia had intended to sew the limbs on, so I kinda just made it up. I used buttons to attach them, which makes them semi-poseable.
However, there are some things that I think work well. The quilting-type thing I did on the wings looks pretty good. The zig-zag stitching in particular helps give the wings a bit of texture that I like. The semi-poseable legs are also pretty cool, in my opinion.
I’m sure I’ll try again using different fabric and trying different techniques. I may even look up how to do things next time!